Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Blogging Vs Work :) or Blogging AND Work !


Blogging Vs Facebook is a challenge! 

We are so used to the little gossips, the bits and pieces of other people's lives shared with the rest of the world. In FB we write scraps, to quote Helo. The blog can give us the opportunity to express a belief and to voice an opinion. 
That is why on Monday, enthusiastically enough, I suggested the idea to my students. Some of Grade 11(my weakness - you will learn about them later on) pricked their ears:D. Some looked at me with suspicion. Some  with a new kind of respect. Some with surprise. Some with indifference. One boy was quite enthusiastic. I said it is not obligatory. Unfortunately, there was no Internet (bad luck!) so I couldn't boast with my accomplishment. In the end, I set it as additional assignment, that will bring extra credits. I told them about the ground rules, the forbidden expressions, the respect they are to manifest to their readers. "Who will read us?" - they asked. "And can we write about whatever we want?" The questions caught me unprepared. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised by the second question. As I teacher, I was thinking of posting topics and waiting for responses, may they be songs, or quotes, or videos, together with their writings. But of course I nodded several times and answered "Yes, and I'll write to my colleagues to find you "followers" from their schools." Now, if they create the blogs, I'll have to find these followers for them and only you can help me. I am sure you wouldn't mind and that your students might like the idea as well.
 The idea of the project is still vague in my head , but it has to include them, the challenge to all teachers!






 Here is a photo of them, taken two years ago on the Danube in Budapest :) Now they have grown wiser and nicer!

5 comments:

  1. Hello Ellie,

    Just out of curiosity, do you remember the exact moment you decided to become an English teacher?

    What made you decide?

    I can tell this is like a beautiful mission!

    Your words echo that passion!

    Helô

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the nice words, Helo:)
    The idea to become a techer in English dates back to my high school years. During my teenage I was crazy about rock music - the forbidden fruit at our time in our parts of the world. Knowing English was a luxury that very few people had the luck to enjoy. We were punished for this love by being taught in the craziest manner, but I do not want to dwell on that. Back then I knew that English (and not only) could be better acquired if students were treated with love and encouraged to pursue their interests so I wanted to prove it. Now I am lucky that I have had the chance to choose how to teach; twice as lucky to have where to learn from.
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ellie,

    First of all I want to congratulate you on the wonderful job you have done with your blog! I simply love it!

    Second, I was reading your reflection and I noticed certain similarities between your students responses and mine when they found out about the project. It was funny reading my experience expressed with somebody's else words.
    Anyway, this means that the students are almost the same in every part of the world.

    Marsi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eli
    Your idea sounds quite interesting. I think it would be a great opportunity for students to write for other students from other countries. They could share their opinions, experiencies and their culture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, girls :)
    Marsi, it is very comforting to hear that you have had the same experience. I always think that my students are the most demotivated and unwilling to do anything - I actually expected that they would jump at the suggestion, but....
    They would come with counter arguments to whatever comes as work. But if they could share opinions on football with someone from Ecuador, Ili, or some other country, they might do it willingly. Otherwise doing the blog may turn into just another boring homework assignment.
    I am just being cautious
    Love
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete